Throughout the 2020-2021 academic year, we are inviting students to apply for Widening Circles, a new virtual internship/volunteer program with Omprakash, a Seattle-based global non-profit that helps students connect with social impact organizations around the world.
Widening Circles combines the following elements:
- Exploration and engagement with pressing social issues in your own local context— whether defined as a neighborhood, a campus, a town, or a region
- Online internships (and opportunities for face-to-face internships, travel permitting) with Omprakash Partners — grassroots social impact organizations in over 45 countries around the world, working in fields including education, health, human rights, migration, sustainability, and social enterprise
- Peer-to-peer learning and personalized mentorship within our Omprakash EdGE online learning ecosystem
- Curriculum ‘concentrations’ in thematic areas including Education & Social Change, Global Health, Environmental Justice, Disabilities in Global Context, Human Rights, Migration & Borders, and Social Entrepreneurship & Innovation
- Periodic webinars and group calls to support community-building and critical reflection
- Digital storytelling to document your ongoing engagement; eventual creation of a digital portfolio to share with loved ones as well as future employers or admissions officers
- Ongoing dialogue and contemplation about your own location within global flows of power and resources — and the implications of this positionality within the context of COVID-19 and your current life trajectory
You set your own pace as you move through the program, and can choose to compress engagement into just a few weeks or to extend it for an entire gap year or career transition.