Max Henin, Biology, Criminal Justice, Chemistry, Class of 2020

As an undeclared student, Max Henin `20 saw many paths before him when he arrived at Quinnipiac, but couldn’t identify the one for him. While he enjoyed math and thought about exploring the social sciences, he also had a strong interest in forensic science.

Over the next four years, Quinnipiac’s CAS360 advising model helped Henin put his academic and professional interests—and his future—into focus. It all started when Anne Harrigan, an advisor who works specifically with undeclared students, offered him an unexpected solution.

“She suggested that I major in biology,” Henin said.

Harrigan explained that a degree in a subject like biology—with minors in criminal justice and chemistry—would give Henin the flexibility to explore different career paths upon graduation. Moreover, were Henin to enroll in a traditional forensic science program elsewhere and not take to the subject, he might find himself “stuck.”

“She made so many excellent points,” recalled Henin, who followed Harrigan’s advice.

By his sophomore year, Henin’s new adviser, Michelle Geremia, urged him to get an early start researching potential graduate schools and their admissions requirements. With everything else in place, Henin set out to find the perfect internship. He approached Rick DelVecchio, director of career development in the College of Arts and Sciences, for help.

DelVecchio reviewed Henin’s resume, assisted him with interview preparation and taught him the finer points of networking and how to leverage connections. With his guidance, Henin landed a highly competitive internship the summer between his junior and senior year with the Suffolk County Crime Laboratory on Long Island, New York.

“If Rick didn’t help me and work with me to ensure that my application looked appealing, I never would’ve gotten that opportunity,” Henin said.

During his internship, Henin shadowed forensic scientists as they collected and analyzed a variety of evidence from real crime scenes, and he observed more than a dozen autopsies. He also helped test the efficacy of a new technique designed to save forensic scientists time, money and resources.

“It made me really appreciate what forensic scientists do and the amount of time and energy it requires to work in a lab,” Henin said.

Henin realized that he wanted to work more directly with the victims of crimes, and he is now considering a career in forensic psychology. Were it not for the CAS360 advisers, Henin may not have discovered this, nor would he have had the opportunities he did.

“I can’t say enough about my advisers and all of their guidance,” Henin said. “They helped me navigate academics, connect with professionals and truly wanted to see me succeed.”

By Anna Brogan
Anna Brogan Director of Client Success