Britney Michel, Sociology and Health Science Studies, Class of 2020

Why did you pick your major? Why do you like it?

• I have always been interested in the medical field and wanting to help people in any way that I can. When looking into the medical field I realized I wanted to do more than have to deal with blood and prescriptions. I decided sophomore year that I wanted to add Sociology to my major. I wanted to understand how these social problems such as a health issue affect a person and their families. Having a double major in health science studies and sociology allows me to incorporate the medical and social aspects, which allows me to be that agent of change for society that I am striving to become. I like both majors because they allow me to be flexible with the classes I take and also what I want to do in life. Either major can just be broad or can be as narrow as one wants to make it.

Do you have a professional field in mind? 

• The professional field I have in mind is Social Work. My ultimate goal is to be a Licensed Clinical Social Worker. I want to help clients strive mentally, physically, and most important emotionally. This allows me to work with physicians, physical therapist, counselors and many others in order to help these patients. Being a social worker will help me understand how certain problems in people’s life affects them and why. There are many different areas that one can specialize in with being a LCSW, such as working with mental health issues, substance abuse, public health, school social work, medical social work, marriage counseling or children and family therapy. I believe that being a LCSW will help me impact society powerfully, and in many different ways.

What internships/research/experiential learning have you engaged in to help clarify areas of interest or prepare for life after QU?

• I’m currently in the process of applying for internships. As of right now my top three options are Department of Children & Families, Children’s Community Programs of CT, and Girl Scouts of America Community Outreach Coordinator. I am very excited to gain an abundance of professional and personal experience through any one of those internships. Also, HSC221 was a helpful class in helping me determine what I actually wanted to do in life. That class allowed me to keep an open-mind to all the other professions that are out there. After hearing a social worker guest speaker, that is when I decided that is the route I want to take with my degree. Once I decided that I did my own research on the field, and I have family members who are social workers so I begin to pick their brains. Once I complete my internship I believe that will bring me one step closer to being prepared for life after QU.

What advice would you give to a student considering your major at QU?

• You can do anything that you put your mind to, just have to stay focused. I say that because one can easily get distracted being in college and feel the need to give up. You just have to stay focused and keep your eye on the prize, which is your degree. Being a double major is not easy, yet alone just being one major is tough too, but anything is possible if you want it to be. Being in both majors has allowed me to learn a lot about myself and the different fields that are out there. I recommend keeping an open mind when being either a health science studies major or a sociology major. Do what your heart has a passion for not what everyone else is doing or what people are telling you to do. Also, have fun with your major because it becomes a part of who you are.
By Anna Brogan
Anna Brogan Director of Client Success