Sarah Annabi, Political Science, Class of 2021

hy did you pick your major?

I initially picked my major as a senior in high school because I thought that Political Science was what someone who wanted to go to law school studied. It was not until after that I realized you could go to law school with any major, nonetheless, I am so glad I chose what I did.

New Hampshire Primary!

Why do you like it?

Studying Political Science has offered me the most incredible academic experience. The courses that I have taken are so eye-opening towards the issues that affect us all whether that be indirectly or directly. I have been exposed to so many different areas of the historical, social, economic, civic, and political realms that I never even knew of or considered before. I have never had a class that has not taught me something new, offered me a different perspective, or made me fall in love with the field even more. Our classes are never boring; it is actually fun to go to class and learn about the things we do. Not only have I learned in the classroom, but I have actually gotten the chance to experience what I learn about in the classroom as well. Everything we learn about and do really does matter and have an impact; that is the most special part about it.

Democratic Presidential Debate

Do you have a professional field in mind?

I want to go to law school and become an attorney. I’ve changed my mind lots of times about what kind of law I want to practice. I definitely want to study constitutional law and focus on civil rights, but beyond that I am not sure. I think that it is really reassuring to know that I still have time to decide that and that our amazing professors are always there to guide us along the way.

Vice President Kamala Harris!

What internships/research/experiential learning have you engaged in?

I am so grateful for the fact that I have had many opportunities to do internships and experiential learning. I had an internship with the Jorge Cabrera for State Senate Campaign, where I worked under a campaign manager and field director. I went to Washington, D.C. for a J-term course, “Inside Washington, D.C.”, during my freshman year. We heard from speakers every day and then followed by visiting experiential sites to understand how what we just learned about actually played out in the real world. I got to meet Vice President Kamala Harris while roaming the Capitol halls. I actually was in the Capitol when the articles of impeachment were delivered in 2020 which was so incredible because we got to see history. I also worked on presidential campaigns in New Hampshire as part of a course, “Presidential Election Campaigns”, where we got to see the behind-the-scenes of campaign work. I met President Joe Biden and Senator Bernie Sanders during their town hall meetings, which was such an amazing experience. These hands-on experiences really allowed me to see how politics actually go down in the real world and made me realize what I did and did not want to do in my future career.

Senator Bernie Sanders!

What advice would you give to a student considering your major at QU? 

I think that studying political science is such an incredible thing to do at QU. The professors are the most amazing and down to earth people you will ever meet. They really do care about you and help you with anything you need whether that be academically or mentally and emotionally. Our major studies what affects people’s everyday lives and what we learn about really does matter. The courses offered give you such eye-opening experiences and the experiential learning opportunities are unmatched. Take advantage of all QU’s political science program has to offer, because you really do not find these experiences in many other places.

By Anna Brogan
Anna Brogan Director of Client Success