Haley Langevin, Mathematics, Class of 2022

Hi everyone! My name is Haley Langevin and I am a math major, Spanish minor, and I am also in the MAT program for secondary education.

Why did you pick your major?

When I first arrived to Quinnipiac freshman year, I hadn’t declared a major yet. I had a feeling that I would end up doing something with math since it had always been my favorite subject growing up, but since I was unsure of a career path, I had trouble committing. My math professors during my freshman year were so supportive and would always talk to me about becoming a math major. I immediately felt that I was welcomed into the math department, even before I officially became a part of it. During spring semester of my freshman year, I decided to try out an accounting class to see if that was the direction that I should go in; however, it was not for me. I then decided that I should try out an education course. I have always been very passionate about helping others so this was a natural transition. I finally declared a major in mathematics and joined the MAT program for secondary education, and it is the perfect fit. 

What do you like about your major?

Aside from the fact that I love the content and courses for the math major, the people are the reason that I know I made the right decision. Since the math major is relatively small, the department truly becomes a community. You will see a lot of the same people in your classes, so it is super easy to get to know each other and form study groups. As I mentioned before, the professors in the math department are all extremely welcoming. They are always willing to help, whether it is during class time or more individually during office hours.

I also love all of the flexibility that the math major offers. Since I am a part of the MAT program, I am planning on becoming a math teacher after graduation. However, if I ever am looking for a career change, I know that I will have my math degree that can be applied to many different fields.

What internships/research/experiential learning have you engaged in to help clarify areas of interest or prepare for life after QU?

I have been able to gain amazing experience through the Learning Commons at QU. I am currently working as a peer tutor and a peer fellow for Calculus I. As a peer fellow for calculus, I am able to hold weekly study sessions for the students and make worksheets of practice problems. This has been great practice for when I am a math teacher and it also solidifies my knowledge of the course material. I am also a peer tutor, which means I get to work with students one on one to go over material, identify the root of an issue, and teach new study skills. It has been so rewarding to hear positive feedback from the students about these programs and really solidifies my decision to become a math teacher. If you are doing well in your math courses, I highly recommend applying to either of these programs.

What advice would you give to a student considering your major at QU?

One piece of advice I could give to an incoming student is to try new things until you find where you belong. I wasn’t aware of all of the options that were open to me as a math major prior to coming to QU, but there are so many! With a major in math you could pursue teaching, actuarial sciences, finance, accounting, and so many more exciting paths.

Once you begin your classes, get to know your professors! You can do this by introducing yourself at the beginning of the semester, participating in class, or going to office hours. It will be very beneficial to have these close contacts for any help within the major, career advice, etc.

By Anna Brogan
Anna Brogan Director of Client Success