Students, join this information session in-person or via Zoom to learn more about the Pitch Competition and how to participate. The competition will be in person on April 19, 2023.
About the Pitch CompetitionThe Spring QU Pitch Competition is a highlight of the year, in which students from all disciplines across campus may present their business ideas and receive feedback. Finalists will present to a panel of judges and can win money to fund their venture. Students from all disciplines are encouraged to submit entries for new ventures in all types of categories such as: products, services, healthcare, social impact, sustainability, arts, family business and more. We invite you to participate in the 2023 Quinnipiac University Pitch Competition by attending an information session to learn more and then submitting an initial application. This is your opportunity to showcase your idea in a safe and learning environment and learn how to develop a venture from idea to pitch. Mentoring will be provided to all applicants to help them prepare for the pitch.
Deadlines & Deliverables:
March 20, 2023 – Deadline for submissionsSubmit application for the initial screening process. Watch for separate announcement. Applicants are encouraged to seek help and feedback from Prof. Patrice Luoma at email@example.com to learn how to prepare and submit their pitches and hone their ideas for the competition. You may also be put in touch with a separate mentor.
The initial application will ask for:
- Student/team member names and email address of the contact student.
- What is the problem you have identified?
- What is your solution? Unique advantage?
- Your customers.
- How are you going to deliver your solution?
- Management team – founder market fit – why you?
- Financial overview.
- The Ask – What amount of money up to $3000 would help you business and what would you use the money for?
From the initial pool of applicants, a smaller group of semifinalists will be selected to move on in the competition and will be notified by email. They will have the opportunity to continue to work with a mentor to receive additional coaching for the competition. Applicants not selected are encouraged to seek additional feedback from Dr. Luoma and to learn how to prepare their pitches for future competitions.March 28, 2023, midnightSemi-finalists, after working with a mentor/coach submit a five-slide PowerPoint presentation.April 5, 2023, Semifinal Presentations Semifinalists present internally to QU faculty and other judges. This session serves to help participants prepare for an effective pitch and get supportive feedback and tips on how to enhance the overall pitch and value proposition of the business. After this session, finalists will be selected to move on to the final event.April 19, 2023, 7 p.m. – Final EventThe top five finalists will present to a panel of external expert judges on April 19, 2023. The M&T Bank Center for Innovation & Entrepreneurship will award cash prizes to winning businesses in amounts up to $3,000.
Guidelines, Rules & Eligibility
- You must be an enrolled Quinnipiac University undergraduate or graduate student at the time of the final pitch competition on April 19, 2023.
- Entrants can be one student or teams. Teams of 2-4 members are strongly encouraged.
- Faculty and staff are not eligible.
- The purpose of a pitch is to obtain attention from investors, potential partners, or a particular audience. Any content presented will be considered public information. Competitors should carefully consider excluding any proprietary information or materials.
- Participating students grant Quinnipiac University the right to share content about your team and your business across the university’s owned channels. This includes, but is not limited to, editorial publications, marketing, general publicity, news releases, web, and digital form. Students will be required to sign a media release.
- Entrants acknowledge that by submitting the application materials to participate, they have consented to the guidelines and rules of the QU Pitch Competition.