SCI AmeriCorps Member Service Position 2023-2024 Community Engagement Coordinator
The SCI AmeriCorps program supports youth success by connecting young people with the relationships, experiences, and resources they need to succeed. Members implement capacity building activities that increase volunteer participation, and provide leadership training and community service opportunities for youth. Since 2007, SCI AmeriCorps Members have served at various host sites in the Greater Boston area that are aligned with the mission of Social Capital Inc. (SCI).
SCI AmeriCorps is currently looking for candidates to fill positions for a 1700-hour service term (approximately 40 hours/week) from late August 2023 through June 2024. In addition to supporting the capacity building of the host site, the goal is to empower youth to positively impact their communities and build their social capital through collaboration with peers and adults while developing leadership skills.
HOST SITE OPPORTUNITY ~ La Colaborativa ~ Chelsea, MA
La Colaborativa’s mission is to empower Latinx immigrants to enhance the social and economic health of the community and its people; and to hold institutional decision-makers accountable to the community. www.la-colaborativa.org.
At La Colaborativa, the SCI AmeriCorps Member will need to (essential):
- Commit to full-term service in local communities with diverse residents
- Serve in-person for some or all service activities
- Participate fully in all SCI AmeriCorps orientations and trainings
- Provide academic tutoring and mentorship to youth participants ages 14-18
- Recruit and help coordinate volunteer tutors and college/career mentors to work with the youth
- Support the Academic and Career Coordinator with group mentorship sessions for students in their final year of high school, including project engagement and direct support
- Support the tracking of academic and post-secondary planning outcomes of program-enrolled youth
- Have effective research and communication skills (written and verbal) to conduct community outreach
- Have a strong work ethic with collaboration and time management skills
- Complete a Social Capital Youth Project for La Colaborativa’s youth enrichment programming
In addition, La Colaborativa would prefer the SCI AmeriCorps Member (marginal):
- Have prior experience with young people from diverse backgrounds
- Have patience and respect for youth, including sensitivity towards learning differences
- Be able to provide basic tutoring in various high school level academic subjects (with Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) tutoring experience highly desired)
- Have basic knowledge of the college application process
- Have prior experience with project design/execution, event planning and/or creating systems
- Be familiar with social media, Google Suite, Microsoft Office
- Have strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Be bilingual in English and Spanish
Standard AmeriCorps Member Benefits
- Receive a Taxable Stipend of up to $24,000/year, paid bi-weekly
- Earn a Federal Education Award worth $6,000+ upon successful completion of service
- Eligible for Health Care at a no cost premium
- Can receive Student Loan Forbearance during active service
Exclusive SCI AmeriCorps Member Benefits
- SCI Developing Leaders Program – comprehensive professional development in partnership with Merrimack College covering Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, Youth Development, Volunteer Management, Community Outreach, and more!
- Free Enrollment in a Community Engagement course taught by Merrimack College faculty with the option to receive undergraduate or graduate academic credit!
- Free Access to Merrimack College campus resources via Merrimack Student ID!
- Free MBTA Link Pass during your service term provided by SCI AmeriCorps!
Submit your application through the form at bit.ly/servewithsci. Please contact our Program Director with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided as needed for applications, interviews and service. If you need an accommodation, please contact our Program Director at email@example.com.
SCI AmeriCorps prohibits all forms of discrimination and harassment based on of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, pregnancy, genetic information, military service/veteran status, political affiliation, and reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.