Department of Biological Sciences: Honors
Honors in Biology:
- An overall GPA of 3.0 or better is required. A GPA of 3.5 in biology is required.
- Students should announce in writing their intention to pursue honors in biology to both the department chair and academic adviser, no later than May 1 in the spring term of their junior year.
- Departmental honors students are required to take BIO 399H (Honors Research in Biological Sciences).
- Students are each responsible for obtaining a sponsor for their project prior to May 1 of their junior year.
- Successful completion of a senior research project is required. The project must include:
- A written proposal;
- The actual completion of an approved research project under the supervision and sponsorship of a full-time faculty member in the Department of Biological Sciences;
- The presentation of the outcome of the research project in the written format approved by the department; and
- A seminar presentation of the outcome of the research project.
- Evidence of excellence in speaking and writing skills, documented by term papers, written work, oral presentations, and grades, as determined by the committee.
- The actual granting of honors in biology is determined by all full-time faculty in the Department of Biological Sciences.
A list of the department faculty and their research interests is available here.