Registration and Course Selection Information for Continuing Students

Note: This page is intended for continuing students.

Deciding what to take

It is your responsibility to ensure you are meeting your curricular requirements (UC, CAS and major/minor requirements), which are set based on the year you entered Quinnipiac. This is known as your catalog year.  You can find your catalog year on Self Service under Progress.

As you select courses for next semester, consider:

      • Progress toward your major

        Work with your advisor to ensure you are on track with your major requirements. Be planning for study away and major requirements such as experiential learning and capstones.

      • UC Courses
        • Where you can find UC courses listed:
          • In Self Service in the Progress screen
          • In Self Service in the “search for courses tool.” Choose “advanced search” and select the appropriate “course type” from the drop-down menu.
          • In the course catalog (scroll down to the list of courses by UC category)


        Are you looking for an NS class appropriate for non-science majors? This list should help.

      • CAS requirements

        Some CAS requirements are waived for certain majors or double majors, but all CAS students since Fall of 2018 have a foreign language requirement, fulfilled through completion of the 102 level or placement into 201 or higher. Plan for this requirement early! Senior year may be too late and, if you plan to travel abroad, the more language you have, the better.

      • One-credit courses

        Standard tuition allows students to take 16 credits in a semester, so we encourage students to consider a 16th credit when possible. These extra credits may prove useful when you want, need, or end up with a smaller course load (for example, during study abroad, after withdrawing from a course mid-semester, etc.)

        Courses to consider:

        • Like science? Take an NS with a lab.
        • Want to be active while you earn credit? Try out a Fitness, Leisure & Wellness class.
        • Check out the new “Micro Courses” under “MCI” in the course catalog.
        • Doing an internship and want to receive credit? Sign up for CAR 295: Career Practicum (can be taken for 1-6 credits).
        • Don’t lose your Spanish skills! SP 101L and 201L provide intensive practice, whether you’re enrolled in a three-credit Spanish class or not.
        • Thinking about being a teacher? ED 140: Introduction to Public Education and the Teaching Profession helps first-years and sophomores interested in public education.
        • Like to argue? Considering becoming a lawyer? Try LE 150: Intro to Mock Trial or LE 160: Competitive Mock Trial.
        • Applying to law school? Prep for the LSAT in CAR 410. Not scheduled for Spring 2022.
        • Musically inclined? Take MU 110: Private Music Lessons in piano, guitar, voice, violin, viola or woodwind instruments. No prior musical training is required.
        • Interested in global issues and diplomacy? Take PO 297: Simulating International Organizations – also known as Model UN. Not scheduled for Spring 2022
        • Want to learn Excel? Check out CAR 150: Intro to Excel. Not scheduled for Spring 2022.


        Note: you can only count up to 6 credits of workshop (e.g., music lessons) or FLW (fitness, leisure, and wellness) courses toward graduation.

Frequently Asked Questions

        • When is my registration date?

          Your specific registration date and time will be assigned by the Registrar. You will receive an email from the Registrar when that information is available. Dates are assigned according to completed credits, not necessarily how many years you’ve been at Quinnipiac. (Note: in-progress courses do not count toward the credit total for the purposes of determining your registration day). Dates are also posted on the Registrar’s MyQ site (under “Registration Information”).

        • Where can I find instructions on how to access/use self-service/student planning?

          Click here to log in to self-service/student planning. Click here for written instructions and a video tutorial.

        • Why won’t Self-Service let me register for a course?

          There are a number of reasons Self Service may not let you register for a course. Consider if any of the following issues apply:

          • The course may already be full. Search to see if any other sections of the same course are still available.
          • Time conflict – make sure you’re not trying to register for a course that meets at the same time as any other course already on your schedule.
          • Prerequisite not met – some courses require a prerequisite (e.g., you cannot register for FR 102 if you have not had FR 101). Some courses have other similar requirements (e.g., some are only available to students with junior or senior standing). Check the course description, which should indicate all prerequisites and restrictions. If you have taken a prerequisite and you are still unable to register, email the Registrar (
          • Corequisite required – some courses, like lab sciences, require you to register for both the lecture and the lab simultaneously; the system won’t allow you to register for just one of them.
          • Placement exams not complete – some courses will be unavailable if you have not completed your 3 placement exams (math, English, and foreign language).
          • You are trying to repeat a course in which you earned an F, D, or C-. To retake a course, email your request to Learn more about repeating a course with a low grade.
          • There is a hold on your account – holds may be placed on your account for a number of reasons, including not having paid a bill by the due date, not having submitted required medical records, and other issues. If a hold has been placed on your account, you may not be able to register for any courses until you meet with the relevant office.
        • Whom do I contact about the hold on my account?

          The One Stop office. They are located in the south wing of the Arnold Bernhard Library and can also be reached at or 203-582-8650.

        • How do I get into a closed class?

          Email your request to Closed classes are usually closed for a reason and it might not be possible to let you in.

        • How do I get permission to take a course that starts mid-semester?

          During open registration, you can enroll in the class yourself. Once add/drop has ended (but before the class starts), email your request to

        • How do I know which courses start mid-semester?

          Note the dates of the class in the course catalog underneath the days/times the course meets.

        • Can I take a course at another institution this summer?
          Most likely, no. Once students matriculate at QU, they are generally not permitted to take courses for credit elsewhere. Permission to take a course at another institution is rarely granted and only under very specific conditions. Read the full policy.
        • How can I get in touch with a faculty member who won’t answer my email?

          The first step is to send a reminder email; it’s possible that the faculty member simply forgot to respond. Another option is to drop in to the faculty member’s office hours. This is a great option if you’re taking a course with that faculty member, as faculty usually post their office hours on their course syllabi. If all else fails, re-send your email with the department/program chair cc’d (click on the appropriate program and you’ll find the “program contact” on the top of the next screen).

        • How do I change my major or add a second major?

          Use the Declaration/Change of Major form on the One Stop webpage.

        • How do I declare or drop a minor?

          Use the Add or Drop Minor form on the One Stop webpage.

        • Where do I request an official/unofficial transcript?

          Through the One Stop Office. Transcript requests are processed through Parchment.

        • Who can write a letter confirming academic good standing?

          Send an email that includes your full name, QU ID number, and where you would like the letter to be sent to

        • What are the deadlines and requirements for applying to the MAT program?

          Learn more about the MAT program.

        • How do I make the Dean’s List?

          Learn more about the Dean’s List. Note that to be eligible for Dean’s List, full-time students must complete at least 14 credits in a semester, with at least 12 credits that have been graded on a letter grade basis (A through C). Part-time students must complete at least 6 credits during a semester. If you believe you should have made the dean’s list or if you made the dean’s list but have not received your dean’s list card (via mail), contact

    Understanding Catalog Years

    Your curricular requirements (UC, CAS and major/minor) are based on the year you entered Quinnipiac. This is known as your catalog year. For example, students who began in the fall 2018 or spring 2019 semesters are part of the 2018/2019 catalog year and they may have slightly different requirements than students entering in a different catalog year. You can find your catalog year on Self Service under Progress.

    Not only do the UC requirements change, but the list of UC courses is also updated every year. Whether a course counts as a University Curriculum (UC) course for you depends on when you took it (e.g., if you took a course that is currently a UC course, but it wasn’t a UC course when you took it, it will not count toward your UC requirements). If you’re wondering why a past course that you think is UC isn’t fulfilling a UC requirement under Progress in Self-Service, check to make sure that the course counted as UC in the semester you took it.

    View UC courses by catalog year.