Gabrielle Garizio, Biology Major, Psychology Minor, Class of 2020

Why did you pick your major?

For as long as I can remember, science has been the subject that comes easiest to me and the one I enjoy the most.  I have also long been interested in the healthcare field but as I entered college, I hadn’t narrowed my focus on a specific career path, so majoring in biology was a natural fit as it best suited my interests while providing flexibility in terms of my post-college education and career options.

Why do you like it?

Science is so much more than what I was taught in high school! Studying biology allows me to learn about the world around me whether that includes animals, plants or humans.  I find myself learning new and surprising information in my classes that is relevant to everyday life and my career interests.  Also, my passion for the sciences has expanded through my experience as a biology major at Quinnipiac as I am also working towards a psychology minor and have found diverse classes and events to explore and expand my knowledge in other facets of the natural science realm. The faculty and staff in the Biology Department are warm and welcoming and just as passionate about the subject as I am.  Every professor is eager to form a relationship with you and help you better understand how to make the most of your experience as a biology student. In addition to the opportunities I have had in my own studies, I was selected to serve as a natural science mentor to help new students adjust to college life.  I enjoy having a positive impact on others and feel that the department does a fantastic job of offering many resources to its students.

Do you have a professional field in mind?

Yes, I am interested in pursuing a career in a healthcare profession, which I feel suits my personality, interests, and abilities – I enjoy helping others and am fascinated by the medical world and advances in healthcare. Through pursing my degree in biology and following the pre-med track at Quinnipiac, I will have a strong foundation for any career in healthcare, including a doctor or physician’s assistant.

What internships/research/experiential learning have you engaged in to help clarify areas of interest or prepare for life after QU?

I am very fortunate to have jumpstarted my shadowing experiences before starting school at Quinnipiac.  As a senior in high school, I shadowed doctors at a local urgent care center and was exposed to the clinical side of medicine.  During my sophomore year in college, I shadowed a wonderful dermatologist who provided me with an inside look into the intriguing world of dermatology.  Additionally, through Quinnipiac, I have met with both my academic advisor and our Pre-Health advisor to discuss additional opportunities and experiences that I hope to pursue in my remaining two years at the university.  I’ll be taking the “Experiential Learning” course either this spring or next fall semester which is required for biology students to graduate and includes a shadowing or internship role relating to professions of interest to the student. Beyond my major, participating in the university’s Honors Program has provided unique experiences that have broadened my perspective, which I feel will serve me well in my post-college life in whatever I pursue.

What advice would you give to a student considering your major at QU?

My biggest piece of advice is to not feel obligated to stick to your original plan coming into college. While I had a good sense of what I wanted to achieve in school from the outset, I have revised my original four-year plan along the way.  For example, based on classes I took early in my college experience, I came to learn that I enjoy studying psychology, so I decided to declare a psychology minor in addition to my biology major.  I may have added a few additional classes to my course load but I truly believe that it has bettered my education and added a new dimension to my qualifications for my future career.  Also, do not be afraid to ask for help or ask questions.  The faculty and staff at Quinnipiac are ready and willing to help you in any way that you may need!

By Gabrielle Garizio

By Anna Brogan
Anna Brogan Director of Client Success