Elissabeth Daniele, Sociology & MAT, Class of 2020

Why did you pick Sociology & why do you like it?

Sociology was brand new to me upon starting at Quinnipiac, and it’s funny to think about how I ended up in this wonderful major. I was lucky enough to have Professor Solomon give me a tour of the campus while I was still in high school. My high school offered Psychology as an elective, which I loved, but I wasn’t familiar with Sociology. Professor Solomon’s passion for Sociology made me wonder if I’d ever be able to choose a major that would excite me in the same way. I entered freshman year as an Interdisciplinary Studies major, in addition to the MAT Program for Elementary Education. I was advised that IDS would be a perfect match for a future elementary school teacher due to the requirements in all subject areas that I would be teaching. Unfortunately, IDS wasn’t for me and that’s okay. I went through freshman year feeling like I was losing my excitement about being at Quinnipiac and I knew I needed to make a change. During my journey to find a new major, Sociology jumped out at me on the list–as if a light was shining directly onto it–and I began to recall everything Professor Solomon shared with me the year before. Changing my major to Sociology has been the best choice I’ve made & I’m happy to have a major that deepens my fascination. My experience at Quinnipiac has improved greatly because I feel confident in the choices I have made and I am comforted in the activities I participate in. The warm feeling I get when I talk about my school experience is what validates it all.

Do you have a professional field in mind?

I previously mentioned that I am also in the 5-Year MAT Program for Elementary Education, thus, teaching is my professional field in mind. The content throughout my Education and Sociology courses complement one another, which makes for a great duo and a fun act to balance. With a Bachelor’s Degree in Sociology, I still feel like my options are endless if I ever change my mind in the future. Through taking an introduction to Social Work course, I’ve discovered how much I enjoy the field. I’m curious to see if I’d change career paths throughout the course of my life. Nevertheless, it’s reassuring to know that I have the freedom to explore possible options!

What advice would you give to a student considering your major at QU?

The biggest piece of advice I can give to a student considering Sociology at Quinnipiac would be that a comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing grows there. As an underclassman, I was simply along for the ride and not putting in as much of myself as I should have been. I was comfortable with my small friend group and only being on campus for classes. Once I changed my major to Sociology, I promised myself that I was going to put in the effort. I’ve made friends in my major that support and motivate me, I’ve joined clubs that have given me a purpose, and I have continued to surprise myself in the opportunities that I take on. I’ve evolved greatly as a student and person because I was lucky enough to find a position that I could thrive in. Sociology has brought me out of my comfort zone and I can only hope that it could be as powerful for a prospective student, too.

By Anna Brogan
Anna Brogan Director of Client Success