Brenda Alderete, Sociology, Class of 2018

When I first arrived at Quinnipiac, I knew I wanted to make an impact on others, but I wasn’t sure how. I felt so lost in comparison to my peers that seemed like they had it “all figured out.” I would feel so much excitement when enrolling for new classes, in hopes of making a connection with a Professor that would give me some guidance and insight. As time was ticking, I grew more and more fearful that I wouldn’t find something that fit what I was looking for, and that I would be unfulfilled for the rest of my college experience.

After my second semester Sophomore year, it was time for me to declare a major. Luckily, I connected with Professor Yukich, whose passion for her field really impacted me. She shared all of the possibilities associated with a Sociology degree, and I felt extremely invested in all of the topics she taught that semester. I knew it was the right place for me.

I was easily able to pair my major with the Global Public Health program. Both the Sociology Program and GPH Program led me to so many wonderful opportunities, such as interning with IRIS (International Refugee and Immigrant Services) in New Haven, and also traveling to South America for one month to intern with the United Nations Population Fund.

My undergraduate career was fulfilling and memorable and absolutely shaped me into the person I am today. I am so thankful for the caring and knowledgeable Professors that believed in me and helped me every step of the way!

By Anna Brogan
Anna Brogan Director of Client Success