Dara Kaplan, Sociology, Class of 2018/Master of Arts in Teaching 2019

When I first came to Quinnipiac, I had no idea what I wanted to major in. My lifelong dream was to be a teacher, but I was very unsure of what I wanted to study during my undergraduate career. Fall semester of my freshman year, I enrolled in Sociology 101 with little to no idea what the course was even about. It ended up being my favorite course of the semester and incredibly eye-opening and interesting. Not only did it give me a new perspective on society, but it gave me an entirely new lens on our education system and the development of children. During my time at Quinnipiac, I took many sociology courses to further enrich my understanding of the world we live in. From courses on race and ethnicity to courses on aging and the sociology of sports, I have learned a great deal of how our society functions in all different areas. Not only did majoring in sociology help advance my knowledge as a future teacher, but it helped me become more aware and knowledgable as a member of our society.

I owe a great deal of my success and accomplishments throughout my collegiate career to Quinnipiac’s Sociology department. Thanks to all of my wonderful professors and insightful courses, I feel prepared to meet the needs of a diverse group of learners, keeping in mind the sociological aspect of our education system and the society we live in. Currently, I am teaching fourth grade as a graduate student in Quinnipiac’s Master of Arts in Teaching Program while I work towards receiving my Master’s. Upon completion, I will be moving back home to Long Island where I will begin to teach in my former school district for the 2019-2020 school year.

By Anna Brogan
Anna Brogan Director of Client Success