Special Education Teacher (Full Time) Job Description
Elm City Montessori School, launched in August 2014, is New Haven’s first public Montessori school. We currently serve approximately 300 students between the ages of 3 and 13. New Haven, Connecticut is a thriving arts, cultural, and education hub, located in the center of a growing community of public Montessori schools.
About the position: The Special Education Teacher supports integrated instruction for students with IEPs in and outside the classroom, reports to the Principal, and works in collaboration with classroom teachers and the Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Team. This is a full time 10-Month position with required August training before the school year begins.
Required Qualiﬁcations: Special education certification to teach in the public schools in the State of CT. Candidates should have a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field.
Preferred Qualiﬁcations: The ideal applicant has a Master’s Degree in Education or a related field, is trained in the Montessori method and/or has experience in a public school setting, collaborating as a member of a teaching faculty, supervising children, and supporting instruction for students with special needs. S/he is kind, caring, compassionate, enthusiastic, well-organized, bilingual (Spanish), and creative with excellent written and oral communication skills.
Key Components of the Position:
- Planning and presenting instruction in the classroom
- Differentiating instruction to ensure growth for all students
- Collaborating with classroom and school teams to plan curriculum, instruction, and assessment. Actively serving as a special education leader on the IEP/PPT team.
- Partnering with families through regular communication to support children’s growth
- Participating in professional learning in social emotional skills, academics, and Anti-Bias Anti-Racist work
Areas of Responsibilities:
Instruction & Intervention
- Developing and modifying instructional materials to appropriately meet the academic, physical, and social emotional needs of all learners
- Completing weekly lesson planning for all children
- Planning formative and summative assessments around benchmarks and measures of proficiency
- Participates in SRBI/Intervention Planning to plan interventions, to collect data, and to monitor children’s growth
Anti Bias Anti Racist Work
- Reviews intervention systems and plans with Anti Bias Anti Racist lens, examining race, gender, language, ethnicity
- Builds and uses curriculum that represents the learners’ identities and cultures
- Actively participates in self work, reading, and learning about own bias and its impact on actions and realtionships
- Plans and organizes PPT meetings and collaboration with families to have the appropriate materials available
- Proactively communicates about children’s progress using appropriate school wide tools
- Works collaboratively with families to plan for supports for children’s academic and social emotional growth
Collaboration and Professional Learning
- Communicates and interacts regularly and appropriately with students, faculty, staff and administration, maintaining positive relationships
- Meets regularly with classroom team, engaging in planning of activities
- Attends and actively participates in all require professional learning and events including work with Social Emotional Learning, Academics, and ABAR
- Maintains all professional certiﬁcations necessary
- Performs other duties as assigned
Interested applicants may fill out ECMS Employment Application: ECMS common job application form.
Eventually, but not yet, we will ask you to apply for this role on the New Haven Public Schools Applitracks website.
Revised: February 2023