SCI AmeriCorps Member Service Position 2023-2024 Community Engagement Coordinator
The SCI AmeriCorps program supports youth success by connecting young people with the relationships, experiences, and resources they need to succeed. Members implement capacity building activities that increase volunteer participation, and provide leadership training and community service opportunities for youth. Since 2007, SCI AmeriCorps Members have served at various host sites in the Greater Boston area that are aligned with the mission of Social Capital Inc. (SCI).
SCI AmeriCorps is currently looking for candidates to fill positions for a 1700-hour service term (approximately 40 hours/week) from late August 2023 through June 2024. In addition to supporting the capacity building of the host site, the goal is to empower youth to positively impact their communities and build their social capital through collaboration with peers and adults while developing leadership skills.
HOST SITE OPPORTUNITY ~ Hyde Square Task Force ~ Boston, MA
Hyde Square Task Force’s mission is to amplify the power, creativity, and voices of youth, connecting them to Afro-Latin culture and heritage so they can create a diverse, vibrant Latin Quarter and build a just, equitable Boston. https://www.hydesquare.org.
At Hyde Square Task Force, the SCI AmeriCorps Member will need to (essential):
- Commit to full-term service in local communities with diverse residents
- Serve in-person for some or all service activities
- Participate fully in all SCI AmeriCorps orientations and trainings
- Support recruitment, onboarding, and training of volunteers
- Design and implement a volunteer recognition program
- Coordinate matches and scheduling between youth and tutors
- Facilitate in-person and virtual tutoring sessions
- Assist with collection and monitoring of youth reporting
- Implement a rewards program and promote academic support resources amongst JEA youth
- Participate in daily hallway time (informal relationship-building with youth)
- Assist with weekly mentoring activities as well as special activities for JEA’s education and career pathways component (e.g. occasional career exploration field trips or college visits)
- Create and maintain a database of important opportunities for youth (e.g. scholarships, internships, etc.)
- Assist with facilitating academic and professional development workshops once per month on Saturdays for youth in grades 11 and 12 as well as recent high school graduates
- Participate in one of four staff committees (Equity and Values, Parent Engagement, Recruitment and Enrollment, or Wepa)
- Have effective research and communication skills (written and verbal) to conduct community outreach and engagement
- Have a strong work ethic with collaboration and time management skills
- Complete a Social Capital Youth Project for Hyde Square Task Force’s youth enrichment programming
In addition, Hyde Square Task Force would prefer the SCI AmeriCorps Member (marginal):
- Have prior experience event planning and/or creating systems
- Be familiar with social media, Zoom, Google Suite, Microsoft Office
- Be detail oriented with strong organizational and creative problem-solving skills
- Have written and spoken fluency in English and Spanish
Standard AmeriCorps Member Benefits
- Receive a Taxable Stipend of up to $24,000/year, paid bi-weekly
- Earn a Federal Education Award worth $6,000+ upon successful completion of service
- Eligible for Health Care at a no cost premium
- Can receive Student Loan Forbearance during active service
Exclusive SCI AmeriCorps Member Benefits
- SCI Developing Leaders Program – comprehensive professional development in partnership with Merrimack College covering Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, Youth Development, Volunteer Management, Community Outreach, and more!
- Free Enrollment in a Community Engagement course taught by Merrimack College faculty with the option to receive undergraduate or graduate academic credit!
- Free Access to Merrimack College campus resources via Merrimack Student ID!
- Free MBTA Link Pass during your service term provided by SCI AmeriCorps!
Submit your application through the form at bit.ly/servewithsci. Please contact our Program Director with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided as needed for applications, interviews and service. If you need an accommodation, please contact our Program Director at email@example.com.
SCI AmeriCorps prohibits all forms of discrimination and harassment based on of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, pregnancy, genetic information, military service/veteran status, political affiliation, and reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.