Department of Economics FAQs

Q: What is Economics?

A: Economics is a social science devoted to studying how society handles the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services using limited resources.  There are two main branches of economics.  The first, Microeconomics, deals with consumers and firms interacting in the market place.  The second, Macroeconomics, is concerned with how the entire economy functions.

Q: What are my professor’s office hours?

A: Professor’s each have their own individual office hour times. You can click on your professor’s profile to find his/her office hours. Also, you can always find office hours listed on your course syllabi.

Q: What is the required GPA for an economics major?

A: An economics major must maintain a GPA of at least 2.0.

Q: How long does it take to earn a degree in economics?

A: Typically, it takes 4 years to earn a Bachelor’s degree in economics.

Q: Will I have my own adviser?

A: Upon declaring your major, you will be matched with your own adviser. Your adviser will be an experienced professor who can help you achieve your own personal career goals.

Q: Can I double major with my current major and economics?

A: Yes, you can. Economics compliments a number of different majors including finance, accounting, mathematics, international business, engineering, and management. In fact, the business core curriculum already includes a number of classes need for the economics major.